Thursday, February 9, 2012

One Thousand Rupiahs

if you think about a lot of money when you read one thousand rupiahs, you're definitely wrong.
one thousand rupiahs (Rp. 1000,-) = US$ 0.112. yep. it's not even a dollar.

according to wikipedia,
"The rupiah (Rp) is the official currency of Indonesia. Issued and controlled by the Bank of Indonesia, the ISO 4217 currency code for the Indonesian rupiah is IDR. Informally, Indonesians also use the word "perak" ('silver' in Indonesian) in referring to rupiah. The rupiah is subdivided into 100 sen, although inflation has rendered all coins and banknotes denominated in sen obsolete."

what you see on the left, is the denominations of our currency. the smallest amount of our banknotes is Rp. 1.000,- and the largest one is Rp. 100.000,- (around US$11.2).

now why the hell I am talking about the smallest number of our banknotes? because I've been looking for Rp. 1.000,- these days.
and... can't found it.
it's not that I don't have that much money. but I need that a thousand rupiahs banknote.

so, since I'm working at my office, of course I need money for the tariff right?
so my tariff is Rp. 3.000,- for one way trip. now, as you see in the picture of our denominations, Imma need a one-thousand banknote, and a two-thousand banknote.
since I can't find the Rp. 1.000,- I can't make it three one-thousand banknotes.
or, you can add coins to match the money with the tariff.

a lot of people asked me "why don't you give the driver Rp. 5.000,- and they can return Rp. 2.000,-?"
the answer is very easy. we have assholes drivers in this country. especially in the city that I live in now.
you can't just give them Rp. 5.000,- and expect them to return Rp. 2.000,- to you. because most of time, they won't do it.

so if I give them Rp. 5.000,-, they'll return Rp. 1.000,- to me. it's not exactly the Rp. 1.000,- banknote. It's coins. 10 Rp. 100,- coins.
that's an ass.

--------------------------------------

I never imagine that money would me that rare now.
I remember when I was a kid, when someones 1000 fall into the street, nobody cares.
but now, oh trust me, if I had a time, I wouldn't mind change my Rp. 50.000,- to 50 sheets of Rp. 1.000,-

it's weird how the thing you never wanted in the past is the same thing you fight for today.

No comments: